I am grey and mottled and a little bit mysterious. I have the largest canines of any animal. Vikings used to trade my big tooth for gold. My tusk was also mistaken for the horn of the mythical unicorn and believed to have magical healing properties. I live in the arctic. I am actually a medium sized whale.
I am…the narwhal.
For this month’s craft spot inspired by our new temporary exhibition- Amazing Whales, we couldn’t resist the adorable, fascinating and wackiest of all the whale species– the narwhal as the subject for our huggable, loveable, bedazzled and up-cycled fabric softie.
- Sharp scissors
- Upholstery thread in grey/black/white
- Large darning needle
- A few dressmakers pins
- Some grey/white/black sequins, beads or buttons
- Pillow stuffing/ polyfill
- Unwanted socks/ t-shirt or tights in grey tones
- Extra felt or iron-on interfacing for lining your softie panels
- Small scraps of white, blue, black felt or fabric for the eyes
- Small scrap of white felt for the tusk
- Print outs of our narwhal softie pattern ( A3 version or page 1 A4 and page 2 A4)